Sunday 12 July 2009

Rambling down side tracks


I'd been up an hour before I even had time for a yawn this morning. Doreen, a visitor from Grand Rapids, Michigan, who called in to check my 'Friday My Town Shoot-out' posting and left a comment. That sidetracked me onto her blogs - I enjoyed her reference to fellow bloggers as 'Bloglings'! Definitely a term to adopt, it sounds so much warmer and friendlier than 'blogger'. One of her blogs is a photography theme blog with a number of members. Despite the enormous size of the blog world it's funny how one keeps bumping into one's friends - hello Saz and Heather, fancy meeting you here! Pic a Theme sidetracked me onto other blogs and so it went on....

I mentioned sub-titles yesterday but often equally inspiring or funny are the bloggers' profiles. Doreen begins hers with “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ~ Dr. Suess. That's become my quote of the week! (Excuse me while I sidetrack to put new quote of week in sidebar.) Hello, I'm back again....

Oops, kettle's boiling. Now that is an important sidetrack.

I got diverted from writing into sorting out my photos from yesterday. I decided most of them will get posted on my Hebridean blog. But here a couple I took.



This ia Achmore, a township with wondeful views over the lochs to the mountains of Harris. You can click on the two panoramas below to get a better view.



On Saturday we had coffee at the Callanish Stones visitor centre.





As you can see the coffee shop was fairly quiet though there were a few customers sitting at the outdoor tables. There are lots of paintings (prints and originals) and photos on the walls and one advantage of there being no one else in the place was I could have a good look at them without leaning over people and their tables.






A lot of the pictures are of the stones which look attractive and impressive in any media.




Then I got sidetracked - yet again - by watching the waves crashing on the shore and the Gannets diving. These were about the best photos I could get at the distance. Some Skuas were chasing the Terns out there as well and we tried to work out if they were Arctic Skuas or Pomarine Skuas but at that distance and speed it was impossible to tell, even using GB's spotoscope.

Bing bong - an e-mail came in. By the time I'd dealt with that I'd forgotten what I was supposed to be doing in the first place....


 

15 comments:

  1. I love this...makes me feel welcome :)

    Oh and how neat that you've found Pic A Theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I especially like the panoramic photos! (I am also quite taken with the coffee "art!")
    ;^)
    Also, isn't it interesting to see the various media portrayed in the rock art?
    Excellent...you just go right on being distracted...I think some excellent material is coming out of it.
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some grand photographs of beautiful country. Most of my images get posted in the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had made my usual round of news and e-mail. Not much going on, and I finished quickly. I happened upon Rambles in my Bookmarks and decided to visit.

    I enjoy your photographs very much, and your reflections are so soothing and comforting. My late mother always wanted to visit the Hebrides, and she and my father did manage a visit to Scotland late in life. From my piney woods in North Florida, it looks like the end of the earth!

    You may like to see some photographs of the lake country of Central Florida on my blog. Look in Photographs for Summerport Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bunch of shots. The panoramas are just wonderful. I keep saying I'm going to wander around and visit new blogs but it seems everyone else has days with more hours than mine. Okay, I just don't manage my time well. But doesn't it sound better the first way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS! on being nominated on 'authorblog' for one of your recent post.
    Big Brother is always on the lookout .

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Over from David's POTD so congratulations on a mention. Thank your for a great tour of your beautiful island...I can smell the fresh air, and coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos. Must put the Hebrides on my list of places to visit. Like tricia, above, everybody seeems to have more hours in their day than I do.

    Congratulations on authorblog Post Of The Day nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots, and I particularly like those of the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice landscape pics...and the Dr Seuss quote fits the week for me as well. thanks. congrats on the POTD mention!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yeah!!! potd from David, congratulations....such an honour!! so glad youve popped over to pic a theme too.

    these are stunning images J, no wonder David mentioned you in dispatches!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, you're "first sight in the morning" photos are beautful!

    And...that cup of coffee looks absolutely delicious. From what my barista friends have told me, "latte art" like that is not easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! Congrats on the Post of the Day mention!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here from David's Authorblog... what wonderful photos.

    Love the "side tracked" bit. I find myself doing that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on your POTD mention, John - Fabulous news, and a wonderful side-tracking ramble through your blogworld, as ever!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive