Monday 16 June 2008

More of "Any old iron..."

When I was little the rag and bone man used to come down our road with his horse amd cart (as per Steptoe and Son) and shout "Any Old Iron", except that it came out as something like "Ennnyoayennnn". In Stornoway there is plenty of old iron but in this case it is rather special.
The Museum in Stornoway has an exhibition all about cast iron and its manufacture on the Scottish mainland. Considering all the rest of its exhibitions are about the Island and the island way of life this came as something of a surprise until I read that Stornoway has one of the most extensive collections of domestic cast iron in the country. As soon as I had read that in the exhibition I began to notice all the railings, gates and other examples of iron casting. GB told me that some of the railings are actually listed so I did a blog posting about them. Here are just a few of the examples of the cast iron gates that I photographed in town…













No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive