Tuesday 17 June 2008

I'll be back

 


Today I am on my way back to the mainland and GB will be driving me down to Glasgow to stop there on the way home to Pensby. Obviously there are aspects of home that I shall be pleased to see but overall the prospect of returning to Merseyside and the real world (of house maintenance, financial worries, and the day to day hassle of life) does not appeal at all.

Places one goes on holiday always seem extra attractive because all the palaver of dealing with bureaucracies, paying bills, sorting out DIY problems, and feeding the cats has been someone else's problem during that period. (Thanks Jo!)

Nevertheless, even taking that into account, I long to live in the countryside, away from the urban rush and noise of Merseyside. It has been a lifelong ambition but somehow it has always seemed to take second place to people and/or the need to earn a living.

The things I shall miss most when back on Merseyside will be GB's excellent company, the sky, the sea, the calm, the quiet, the countryside, going out in the car most days (even if it's only into the castle grounds for a coffee) and the people who have been so hospitable. This five and a half weeks has been by far the longest holiday I have ever had in my life. I shall miss Lewis enormously. In the brief time I've been here I have been made to feel so at home. Where else could you go and be recognised and made welcome by someone who works on a till in a supermarket serving a population of 20,000 people.

So here is a big



to Pat and Dave (and Briagha), Fiona, Carol & Iain, Christine and Norman, Barry and Ena, Ann, Steve, and everyone else who has been so hospitable and made the holiday so brilliant.

I don't know if this is a threat or a promise but I'LL BE BACK!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive