Monday 23 June 2008

KABELEWSKY and Co

One of the great things about being at GB’s was having classical music playing at the sort of volume one can really appreciate it. Back home I am conscious of the need to take into account Jo and Richard. Classical music is not Jo’s favourite and that would be an understatement where Rich is concerned. So only when I have the house to myself do I feel it fair to play it loudly. And if I’m moving from room to room I don’t have the linked speakers that GB has.

Not only was the volume a great thing but as a bonus I discovered a load of new composers among his vast CD collection. These were

Kabalevsky - Dmitri Borisovich Kabalevsky (December 30, 1904 – February 18, 1987) - Russian Soviet composer. Kabalevsky is regarded as one of the great modern composers of children's music. He helped to set up the Union of Soviet Composers in Moscow and remained one of its leading figures.



Busoni - Ferruccio Dante Michelangiolo Benvenuto Busoni (April 1, 1866 – July 27, 1924) - an Italian composer, pianist, teacher of piano and composition, and conductor.

Raff - Joseph Joachim Raff (May 27, 1822 - June 24 or June 25, 1882) was a Swiss composer, teacher and pianist.

Tcherepnin - Alexander Nikolayevich Tcherepnin (born January 21, 1899; died September 29, 1977) - a Russian-born composer and pianist. His father, Nikolay Tcherepnin, (pupil of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov) and his son, Ivan Tcherepnin, (a member of the Harvard University faculty) were also composers. His son, Serge, was involved in the roots of electronic music and instruments.

Granados - Pantaléon Enrique Costanzo Granados y Campiña (July 27, 1867 – March 24, 1916) - a Spanish pianist and composer of classical music. His music is in a uniquely Spanish style and, as such, representative of musical nationalism. Enrique Granados was also a talented painter in the style of Francisco Goya. This wasn't a discovery insofar as I had already known some of his works but GB gave me his complete piano works. As I write this posting I am listening to some it and enjoying it immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive