Wednesday 18 February 2009

Flesh-forming Cocoa



In the Royal Academy Notes that I reviewed the other day there is only one advertisement. That’s a shame because I do love Victorian adverts – such a source of interest and amusement. This is the advert – for Cadbury’s cocoa.


At the time there were lots of posters advertising Cadbury's absolutely pure Cocoa - sustains against fatigue - increases muscular strength - with admirable nutritive, flesh-forming qualities. I’m not quite sure what flesh-forming properties were but they were obviously considered very important in 1890!

3 comments:

  1. I noticed their Easter candies put a bit of extra flesh on me. Perhaps it is true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, this post made me think of the Miller experiment trying to recreate organic compounds from a mixture of gases resembling Earth's atmosphere.

    I think it was the "Flesh-forming" part.

    Old advertisements are certainly fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always found chocolate to have magically healthful properties. I'm afraid the flesh-forming properties refer to the increased size of one's hips when overindulging...

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive