Wednesday 5 November 2008

Meme

I’ve come across some blogs lately that have Memes in their side column. OK, I appreciate there are all sorts of computer things I don’t understand but I thought I was reasonably well up on blogging. But I didn’t know what a Meme was. So I put “define: Meme” into Google.

Among the answers:-
A unit of cultural information that represents a basic idea that can be transferred from one individual to another, and subjected to MUTATION ...

Richard Dawkins’s 1976 coinage, on the analogy to gene (with a little aid from mime and mimic), for a cultural copying unit, such as the word or ...

a cultural item or idea that is transmitted by repetition in a manner analogous to the propagation of biological genes.

viral encapsulated idea, with built-in feedback loop.

Leftist pseudo-intellectualese or linguistic affectation, generally used in the pejorative, employed to designate a commonly held position, thought or expression as worthy of or susceptible to attack or denigration by superior leftist "critical thought" which the employer possesses in abundance.

is an element of a culture or system of behaviour that is passed from one individual to another by non-genetic means; or, more simply, that which ...

an idea, project, statement or even a question that is posted by one blog and responded to by other blogs. ...


I almost understood that last one but not enough to understand the concept of meming (is that the verb?). If anyone can explain it – IN ENGLISH – their comment would be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive