Do you know which writers had the following unusual pets:-
1. A lobster which he took for a walk each evening around the streets of Paris using a ribbon as a lead.
2. A pet donkey with which he travelled.
3. A scorpion which he kept on his desk.
4. A pet ewe about which he wrote poems
5. A bat which he kept in a cage on his writing desk.
6. A pet bear, three monkeys, a parrot and a lot of other creatures.
7. A pet monkey which he took to sea with him.
8. A crane which followed him everywhere he went.
10. A zebra, a wombat, an opossum, a raccoon, an armadillo, and a host of other animals.
11. An anteater and a coatimundi.
1. Gerard de Nerval - who went n to hang himself with Marie Antoinette's garter!
2. Robert Louis Stevenson
3. Henrik Ibsen
4. Robert Burns
5. Charles Baudelaire
6. Lord Byron. Keeping the bear was a response to Cambridge Universitiy's rule forbidding the keeping of dogs!
7. Joseph Conrad
8. Anton Chekhov
9. Eugene O'Neill
10. Dante Gabriel Rossetti
11. Horacio Quiroga. After being abandoned by his second wife the Uruguayan writer turned the empty swimmng pool he had built for her into a a serpenatarium.
- ► 2016 (146)
- ► 2015 (92)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (148)
- ► 2012 (227)
- ► 2011 (230)
- Liverpool biennial - Lee Mingwei
- Wednesday Wildlife - Pieris
- East Anglian Place Names
- Happy Monday - Just for a laugh
- Hints on English pronunciation
- Writers’ unusual pets
- Friday My Town Shoot--out - Hot or Cold
- A Week with Big Brother
- Farewell and Thank You, Nan
- Wednesday Wildlife - For Migrating Birds
- May contain...
- Happy Monday - Men!
- Water of Life
- Literary Trivia
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Flora, Fauna and Pets
- Suggest a caption
- Wednesday Wildlife - Yelling to each other
- The Recluse
- Happy Monday - Who is your role model?
- Another chair
- Who created -
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Stripes and Lines
- The Muffin Lady
- Elections in Exeter
- Wednesday Wildlife - A selection of cats I have ph...
- CJE in Exeter
- What price a Melon?
- Happy Monday - Oops!
- A collection of canes
- Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
- Friday My Town Shoot-out
- Cat and Mouse
- A fluted letter box
- A major revolution
- Wednesday Wildlife - The Mute Swan
- ▼ September (36)
- ► 2009 (629)
- ► 2008 (775)