This bints on pronuncition for non-native English speakers has been around for a long time. It seems to be anonymous.
I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble but not you
On hiccough, thorough, slough and through.
Well done! And now you wish perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead, it's said like bed, not bead-
For goodness' sake don't call it 'deed'!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth, or brother,
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there's doze and rose and lose-
Just look them up- and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart-
Come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive!
I'd learned to speak it when I was five!
And yet to write it, the more I sigh,
I'll not learn how 'til the day I die.
- ► 2016 (146)
- ► 2015 (92)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (148)
- ► 2012 (227)
- ► 2011 (230)
- Liverpool biennial - Lee Mingwei
- Wednesday Wildlife - Pieris
- East Anglian Place Names
- Happy Monday - Just for a laugh
- Hints on English pronunciation
- Writers’ unusual pets
- Friday My Town Shoot--out - Hot or Cold
- A Week with Big Brother
- Farewell and Thank You, Nan
- Wednesday Wildlife - For Migrating Birds
- May contain...
- Happy Monday - Men!
- Water of Life
- Literary Trivia
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Flora, Fauna and Pets
- Suggest a caption
- Wednesday Wildlife - Yelling to each other
- The Recluse
- Happy Monday - Who is your role model?
- Another chair
- Who created -
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Stripes and Lines
- The Muffin Lady
- Elections in Exeter
- Wednesday Wildlife - A selection of cats I have ph...
- CJE in Exeter
- What price a Melon?
- Happy Monday - Oops!
- A collection of canes
- Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
- Friday My Town Shoot-out
- Cat and Mouse
- A fluted letter box
- A major revolution
- Wednesday Wildlife - The Mute Swan
- ▼ September (36)
- ► 2009 (629)
- ► 2008 (775)