Friday 24 September 2010

Friday My Town Shoot--out - Hot or Cold

This week's Friday My Town Shoot-out theme is - Hot or Cold.


In the foreground is the Spiegelei - a perspective altering work in which a three-way camera obscura projects a 360 degree upside down visin of the Japanese garden. Unfortunately the weather was too dull for it work when we were there.





In the background of the top photo  is "A Weight of Ice Carried from the North for You".   Neville Gabie travelled to the Arctic in February 2010 to harvest this 10,000 year old piece of ice.


This highly experimental work in the gardens of Tatton Park  queries the issues of global trade and sustainability.


The freezer cabinet is kept cold by means of 12 solar panels and a heat exchange unit in the nearby Golden Brook.

Why not check out other people's my town shoot-outs this week.

12 comments:

  1. This is an exceptional shootout! What an interesting piece to share, to find.

    I also love that quote you have at the top....so much a part of me ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice in a box, that really is an "out of the box" idea! Great shoot-out! I like the solar panels to keep the ice cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, since the quote at the top changes I thought I'd put it here for posterity:- "It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop." ~ Vita Sackville-West

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Love it! The Sackville-West quote as much as the Spiegelei and the block of ice.
    I know just the person I am going to send that quote about writing to.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating place.
    In my building we're about to install a huge computer server that will generate a huge amount of heat. Unfortunately, that means year-round air conditioning, rather than displacing the heat to warm the offices in the winter. Eejits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating. The artistic mind is incredible. What other species would think about preserving very old ice by using the sun's energy. I have yet to really understand on a gut level how heat can be used to cool things down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Heather T. What a wonderful quote you've put at the top of your site. I find that writing also helps me sort out things. Not just impressions but facts. Thanks for another grreat quote and posting.
    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! ice in a box, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what is that silver globe on top of the building?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann, if my interpretation is correct, that silvery globe is the Spiegelei. In German, Spiegel-Ei can be a word game; it literally means "mirror egg" and we use it for eggs "sunny side up", but it can also be read "Spiegelei" and then would mean something like "mirrorish".

    ReplyDelete
  11. this place is very interesting. I can't get my mind around a 10,000 year old piece of ice!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive