Sunday 30 August 2009

It has taken over twenty years but

It has taken over twenty years but Partner-who-loves-tea has at last earned the right to use my surname. As I have mentioned before, our family – i.e. my parents and brother, my daughters and son – are noted for their punctuality. Partner-who-loves-tea is noted for her lack of punctuality. If I ask when she is going to be home it is with a lot more hope than anticipation of her being within an hour or two of the time stated. And the answer is usually pretty vague any way – usually along the lines of “About 7 or 8 – somewhere round there.” So imagine my surprise when this phone texting conversation took place the other day:-

Me at 11.14 a.m. – “Lost track of appts. When will u b home? J”

Jo’s reply at 11.19 a.m. – “About 1.22. Jo. x.”

And, what was even more unbelievable – she arrived a few minutes early!

Welcome to my world, Jo.


2 comments:

  1. OK that's the story of the year for anyone who knows Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh, is she Irish by any chance? Years ago, I read the best, best thing in Under the Duvet by Marion Keyes. "See, the way it is in England, if someone says to be at their flat for dinner at seven-thirty, what they mean is you're to come at twenty to eight. But in Ireland, if someone says to be at their flat for dinner at seven-thirty, what they mean is you're to come at a quarter past nine." Isn't that just great?!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive