Thursday 30 April 2009

Brothel Creepers

I can't recall what caused the comment but a few weeks ago Spesh mentioned Brothel Creepers. I promised a blog entry.


Creepers or brothel creepers found their beginnings in the years following the WWII: Soldiers based in the deserts in North Africa wore suede boots with hardwearing crepe soles because of the climate and environment. Having left the army, many of these ex-soldiers found their way to the disreputable nightspots of London (Kings Cross and Soho) wearing the same crepe soled shoes. Those became known as Brothel Creepers.

In the 1950s, these shoes were taken up by the Teddy Boy and the Rockabilly kids, along with drainpipe trousers, draped jackets, bolo ties, quiff and pompadour haircuts, and velvet or electric blue clothes. The brothel creeper was a hit throughout 50s and 60s.

They were invented in 1949 by George Cox and marketed under the Hamilton name, based on George Cox Jr.'s middle name .

3 comments:

  1. Can't say I ever liked these on the lads I knew in the 50's. I guess they are a fashion piece of that era. They just evoke memories of slimy Teddy boys to me.!!! or was it the mod and rocker time? can't be sure now. LOL

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of these before. Pretty fancy shoes! Kind of like platform shoes for men. Did you ever wear them? Is there more to this story???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased to say I never wore them - I never crept around any brothels either!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive