Sunday 21 April 2013

Reading and Art

Having talked the other day (when I showcased Alan Horsager’s work) about pictures whose origins were unknown I came across this one yesterday.
 

There was no indication where it was from – perhaps it was taken on the set of a period drama? Whoever it is and whoever the photographer was I love it. I have a real soft-spot for pictures of people reading (especially from the nineteenth century).



Delphin Enjolras (1857-1945)


One of my favourite blogs is Bas van Houwelingen's 'Reading and Art' Blog.  Bas is employed as an executive secretary at Library Northwest Veluwe in The Netherlands.  I strongly recommend a visit to his blog. 

 Boris Dubrov - Teaching Torah c 2004

In his research he has found pictures that I know you will never have seen before and if you like art it will set you off on a journey of discovery, finding artists you had never heard of but whose work you will admire. Át least, I hope so.   Enjoy

9 comments:

  1. I'll go have a look. Like you, I have long been a lover of paintings or other images that portray people reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful images and I believe I have seen the last one before. I like the first one best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to hurry over there since I love art, reading and the samples you show. I am a librarian and a writer so it sounds like a great blog to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the 2nd and 3rd pictures especially. I went over and took a look at the other paintings too. Well worth the visit. Sold a couple of my pictures at the garage sale. I hope to be posting more about that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your lovely comment in my mail art blog!
    It would be really nice to know how you found your way there?
    You seem to have wonderful blogs, I started to follow this one now.
    I noticed you had kept a 355 blog. I love photographing also and have a bit similar blog to your 355, Picture of the Day. Please take a look, when you have time. It would be nice to hear how you like it, because as I say, your 355 reminds me of my own one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lost for words and that doesn't happen very often. Bas van Houwelingen's blog is a wonderful treasure trove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love discovering new and fascinating blogs...I like how Bas has pulled together photos of people reading in various time periods.
    Your three choice photos are quite distinctive as well...reading for pleasure, reading some news received, and reading for learning...very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful to be directed to places on the www that I'd have most likely never come across, had it not been for someone's blog post! And more often than not, it is through your blog and Kay's that I find these great new places. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the last one the most! Only I'm surprised that they have a cap/hat on since they're reading the Torah! Thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive