Friday 19 April 2013

Alan Horsager



http://horsager.com/

Just as one sometimes comes across a special artist the same applies with photography. I recently saw the above photo by Alan Horsager and was inspired to investigate further. 

Alan Horsager is an international street photographer and vision neuroscientist living in Los Angeles, California. Alan began shooting regularly in the mid 1990’s and has shot across a broad range of styles including fashion, editorial, and stock photography. His more recent work is both artistic and personal, and combines street and travel.

"His work as a neuroscientist at the University of Southern California focuses on the study of visual sensation and perception, including the development of sight-restoring therapies using light-sensitive proteins taken from algae."  That sounds like another promising avenue being pursued to help people like myself with neurologically based sight problems.

Having looked at a number of Alan's photos I think this is my favourite - 

http://horsager.com/

Alan has a blog as well as his website.

(I know there are an awful lot of pictures out there on the Internet whose origins are not obvious and, like most people, I tend to add those to my own photos to illustrate my posts.  But I don’t know why people go pinching so many pictures off the Internet and failing to acknowledge them when their ownership is clear. When I asked Alan Horsager for permission to showcase his photos he gave the usual response - ‘of course’.  Thanks, Alan.)

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for introducing another great artist to us, John!
    Of course, with my "thing" for doors and doorways, the "Emma" picture appeals greatly to me. I've also had a look at Alan Horsager's blog and wondered whether he'd be able to do that in Germany. People would instantly protest against having their picture taken, let alone have it published online! We do get a bit paranoid sometimes when it comes to our privacy, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my comments to Alan during our 'correspondence' I made the point that in the UK one of the problems is the security issue. All shopping precincts and most areas patrolled by any form of security warn the photographer off. So do any transport depot areas, etc. Ironic considering people could take photos on a mobile phone so easilt. But produce a camera and Oh Dear!
      And as for taking photos of children - I suspect the police would be called in no time.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for introducing me to Alan Horsager...I like the street photography idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful photos. I will enjoy discovering his other work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second image is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you chose the best image from his website's running display. I'm not sure most of the others were particularly special to me. The first photo you have shown, though, is in a class of its own for how it captures what it suggests.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very cool. Must investigate further. Love the top one in the arches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually in the U.S. and many other countries it is illegal to post someone's work without requesting permission and giving the artist's name. This photographer is a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's illegal here as well but it's amazing the number of bloggers who do it. I've found my own photos on a blog without acknowledgment. It's so tacky and unfair as well as illegal.

      Delete
    2. I should add that when I have been asked I've never refused and have been grateful that the person liked it enough to use it. That's the same response I've always had from people. I've not had a refusal yet.

      Delete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive