Monday 8 August 2011

More about seals

Back in June I blogged about seals and sealing wax. While staying with GB he showed me the seals in his collection among which are a couple I recall from ‘home’. (Funny however many times one changes partner, house, etc, the house in which one was raised remains ‘home’ for some of us fortunate enough to have had a happy childhood with loving parents.)


E is for Edwards



An ivory or bone handled seal with the words ‘Forget-me-not’ and a picture of the flower. Undoubtedly Victorian and belonging to our grandmother. Since she was engaged a few times its origin and past usage remains anyone’s guess!


A lovely little glass seal with ‘L’amite rend la vie douce’ (Friendship makes life sweet) which was either Mum’s or Nana’s. I always wondered how one used it without burning one’s fingers on the hot wax!

4 comments:

  1. Not sure I ever saw it used to seal a letter but I do have memories of seeing it used... I think that back in my childhood at least on some occasion we used it when wrapping Christmas presents. I looked back at your previous post too... I think we used a candle to melt the wax. I bet I'll find some when I continue to go through dad's drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the headline, I thought this was going to be about seals as in the animals; since you are near the ocean at the moment, it wouldn't have been so unlikely that you spotted some seals out there and postet about them.

    The small glass seal is very sweet. Maybe it was meant to be stuck to a handle, as part of a set of changeable seals.
    I'd love to see the forgetmenots-one. These are my favourite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hers most likely lost hers 'andle.
    Beautiful things or Hartifacts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always had an immense fascination with wax seals. But I don't think I've ever actually seen one, perhaps no one on my side of the family ever used them.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive