Tuesday 23 August 2011

Abstracts

I’ve been playing at taking abstract photos these last few weeks. Some Hebridean ones appeared on that blog and Helen commented:-
I'm curious - was the second photo intentional or an accident? I take those type of photos by accident quite often, but usually discard them without thinking.

Scriptor Senex said... “All intentional, I'm pleased to say. I've also taken to looking at the whole of large pictures and picking out bits that are out of focus or simply a mix of colours in the corners, away from the main objective.

Helen said... Mmm that is interesting. I shall have to try that sometime.


This is a classic example of what I was talking about. I took a couple of photos of the Chessmen Exhibition poster in the Library coffee shop. Look around the edges. So how about these:-









Would you have been able to guess where they came from without the first photo? (Note that I stretched a couple to make them roughly square.)

I bet you’ve all got dozens of abstracts hidden away in your large format photos.


6 comments:

  1. The last one is my favourite. I'm always looking for things which would make lovely fabrics, and that one seems perfect. Where did it come from? I'm guessing to the right of the poster, about a third of the way up from the bottom?
    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful.....You have inspired me. Mow I have to remember to stay inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, without the first picture, I definitely wouldn't have known where the abstracts came from. They resemble what I sometimes see when my eyes are still closed but I am awake, ready to get up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guessed right, Canadian Chickadee, except that it was actually from the second photo - the one I didn't show. It was amazing how different the effects were by just moving the camera a fraction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I'd love to say that I shall try something similar because some of those were definitely 'hangable' but somehow I suspect I'll never quite get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'll try to keep this in mind until winter, when there is usually less inspiration "outside"...!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive