Monday 23 March 2009

Mengs and Hall


I haven't been to the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool for many years and have made a resolution to go again soon. I think that the last time I was there was 1991 and I was particularly taken with two paintings. One of them I recalled from previous visits - a self-portrait by Anton Raphael Mengs (1728-1779) from 1774 which really talks to you.





The other was Margaret Bernardine Hall's 'Fantine' from 'Les Miserables' (1886). It has a haunting quality that insists one look at it repeatedly.

2 comments:

  1. It makes me think of the days when I was quite heavily involved with the Museum and Art Gallery in Liverpool. I don't miss the museum but I would like to see the Art Gallery again. A visit this year perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord, those paintings are incredibly affecting, Scriptor - thank you for showcasing them.

    As for the snakes in computers - My OH works in IT and in Africa and has pictures and has seen things that would make our hair curl!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive