Sunday 5 June 2011

Norton Priory


GB and I went to Norton Priory today. The walled garden is magnificent. I feel quite guilty that despite living within 30 miles of it my whole life I'd never been there before.


The priory before Henry VIII.


The priory after Henry VIII.


The site has been extensively excavated and a number of medieval coffins unearthed. Their contents show some of the many degenerative and other diseases from which our ancestors sufferred. So here's one for Bryony...


In the gardens we came across Coventina - Celtic Goddess of springs and wells.



We also found a sign that said Fairies at work making the Fairy Glen. This meant GB spent the rest of the walk looking for the fairies....





The Norton Museum Trust has been designated the National Collewction holder for Tree Quince, Cydonia oblonga, and there are over 20 varieties at Nortonm Priory. The Quince is repiuted top be the Golden Apple that Paris gave to Aphrodite and is first mentioned in Britain in 1275 when Edward I planted four at the Tower of London. The Quince is an apple or pear shaped fruit with a golden yellow skin and a strong, spicy scent. It is not eaten fresh but can be stewed with meat or boiled with sugar to produce an excellent jam or jelly.


Buddleia alternifolia - I want one!


Mecanopsis betonicifolia - ditto.


Jacob's Ladder - ditto again!

There were just so many beautiful flowers. I would thoroughly recommend a visit to anyone visiting N Cheshire.

5 comments:

  1. Good to see you out and about again, CJ. You will have to go back when the fairy glen is completed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a wonderful place to visit, one I could easily spend a whole day at. We have a quince tree in the garden, and my mum can make quince jelly and lots of other delicious things from the fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norton Priory looks lovely - we'll definitely have to go. I know what you mean about not visiting local places - we are trying to see more of our local area this year. I also want to visit http://www.specialperennials.com/opening_times.htm in Cheshire - they have the National Helenium Collection and I adore Heleniums.

    I tried growing Himalayan poppies from seed, but they're one of those tricky ones that require being in a bag, having cold but not frost etc etc. Needless to say they didn't germinate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's wonderful to still be able to find "new" places in an area one already thinks one knows :) Seems like well worth a visit. And those fairy signs are just too funny. (I hope GB got some good pictures of the fairies...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ashamed to say I've never visitied myself, something I will soon rectify.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive