Thursday, 14 January 2010
This week's subject for the Friday My Town Shoot-out is Birds (real or otherwise) – and was chosen by me!
I decided to include the 'otherwise' because not everyone has the equipment to capture the real thing but I hoped I was not the only one with artificial birds in the garden. In this case the baby robin doesn’t seem to be afraid of our Owl!!
Regrettably, this kingfisher is also artificial. He is made of plastic and guards my ponds.
So far I have recorded 22 species of bird in the garden and further 11 overhead. The following are some of the ones that visit my garden:-
Blackbirds nest in the garden hedge and along with Wood Pigeons are probably the most reliable of our species being seen every day throughout the year.
Blue Tit – they nest in one of the nesting boxes I have put up.
Goldfinches feed at our niger seed feeders.
Greenfinches also come to the bird seed.
House Sparrows became quite rare in the latter part of the 20th century but are now getting back to their mid 20th century levels.
Dunnocks (which used to be called Hedge Sparrows) nest in the garden hedge and usually feed at ground level – picking up the seed that the other birds have thrown of the seed trays.
The Pied Wagtail is one of three birds that has only arrived in the garden thanks to the recent snowy spell.
But the Robin is a regular visitor all year round.
While the Siskins mainly appear in spring.
The noisy Starlings are here all year and especially like it when there are mealworms on the bird table.
The perky little Wren is another all year round species and probably nests in the woodpile beneath the hedge.
If you would like to see other members' shoot-outs please go to the link page.
To learn more about the Friday My Town Shoot-out why not pay a visit to the
Posted by John Edwards at 16:11
- ► 2016 (146)
- ► 2015 (92)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (148)
- ► 2012 (227)
- ► 2011 (230)
- Black and white, sepia and grey..
- Odd rambling thoughts about an odd week
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Look Up and Look down
- Some more gems
- Eric's first car
- HMS Conway
- Odds and Ends from Uncle Eric
- Happy Monday - Global Warming
- A Ramble round the year
- The true story of the Three Bears
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Sounds
- Second-hand Books
- The Hokey Cokey in the snow
- The largest flower in the world
- Happy Monday - Enough Said!
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Birds
- Fieldfares and Redwings
- Happy Monday - And the moral is - stay sober
- Award For Photographic Excellence
- The Big Freeze
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Fences
- The pigeon
- The Snow
- Enormous News
- Baby, it's cold outside...
- Happy Monday - The sort of response Jo would make....
- Soon be time
- What year is it?
- Happy New Year
- ▼ January (30)
- ► 2009 (629)
- ► 2008 (775)