Tuesday 29 December 2009

Rosina Wachtmeister


I am very fond of the cat figures and cat art of Rosina Wachtmeister. I have shown some of them on this blog before but I make no apology for repeating them.

'The most important and most beautiful part of my life are my dreams. Sometimes my dreams and my reality merge into one.' – Rosina Wachtmeister


Born in Vienna in 1939, Rosina Wachtmeister studied sculpture and scenic design in Brazil and ran her own marionette theatre before returning to Europe in 1974. For a living she sold her artwork on the Piazza Navona in Rome where she was discovered. Her art reflects the charm and simplicity of everyday life at La Rocca, her farmhouse in a picturesque little village in the hills of Latium (Italy), where she lives, surrounded with family, friends, her animals and her music. The tranquil and nostalgic atmosphere of the place is a source of continuous inspiration. The cats, the sun, the domestic scenes and her love for music are prominent themes in her oeuvre.


These are some of her cat figures that I have. All her figures have names – these are Amica in front; Stella and Serafina; Renato and Renata; Julia at back.

3 comments:

  1. These are charming. This is an artist who is new to me. Thank you for introducing me to her.
    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the simplicity of the paintings, and the cats laying around in the second one! You have good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RW is quite popular (and expensive!) in NZ. I have to say that her charm has grown on me since you first introduced me to her works.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive