Thursday, 15 April 2010
The Church of St Gwyddelan, Dolwyddelan, North Wales is a hidden gem, just off the main road between Betws-y-coed and Blaennau Ffestiniog. My father’s mother appears on the Dolwydelan census for 1881 and will have been taken to church here – unless she was ‘Chapel’. St. Gwyddelan's Church is not the original Church in Dolwyddelan but nevertheless it does go back to the late fourteen hundreds.
The roof alone makes this a wonderful church.
This part of the roof is what is known as barrel-vaulted.
The design at the bottom of this piece of roofing is of a stylised dragon.
This front pew is inscribed in Welsh as being for the hard of hearing. Medieval customer care at its best!!
A seventh century Celtic bell which hangs from the church roof. Traditionally called Cloch Wyddelan, or St Gwyddelan’s Bell. The bell was dug up on the site of the old church in the 19th Century and is thought to have been brought by St. Gwyddelan from Ireland in the 7th Century.
This is a medieval poor box; subsequently taken over for use for Church Expenses..
The grand 17th century memorial to the Meredith family.
The simple East window.
The South chancel – showing the rustic charm of this church.
A door from around 1500.
And another door dated to around 1500.
This is a sanctuary knocker on the door of the church. Those fleeing justice could grab hold of the knocker and were then safe from pursuit. They would then have to agree to leave Britain, carrying a cross and travelling only on roads to the nearest port where they were to get the earliest possible passage to exile. If no boat was available they had to wade into the water each day until one was.
Posted by John Edwards at 00:31
- ► 2016 (146)
- ► 2015 (92)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (148)
- ► 2012 (227)
- ► 2011 (230)
- Black and White Tuesday - GB
- Shades of New Zealand
- How are you doing?
- One Swallow does not make a Summer
- Flying the flag
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Honouring Trees
- Not an Ash Cloud in the Sky
- St George’s Hall
- Wednesday Wildlife - the Nuthatch
- Happy Monday - Classified Ads
- Do you remember –
- Things I learned this week
- The Church of St Gwyddelan
- Wednesday wildlife - Red Squirrels
- Happy Monday - Male or Female
- Award For Photographic Excellence
- 40 Things that make me Happy
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Country Lanes
- You must have been a beautiful baby..
- Should I be pleased?
- Black and White Tuesday – Odds and Ends
- Bye, bye Rafa?
- Happy Easter Monday
- The Adventures of an Apple
- Recovery Items
- April Fool's Day
- ▼ April (27)
- ► 2009 (629)
- ► 2008 (775)