Saturday 29 November 2014

David John



David John Edwards
(29th Nov. 1986 – 20th Feb 1987)

     David was.
     David is.
     But, Dear Lord,
     Whatever happened to
     What David might have been?

David was born to Jo and I in ‘Oxford Street’, Liverpool Maternity Hospital on this day in 1986.  Such knowing eyes. Three months later he died – a cot death.  The terrible raw grieving is now over.  The memory lingers on.  Memories of good times and fun days and a day when he was about two and a half months and ‘Everything was perfect’.  His death taught me so much and changed me as a person – for the better, I hope.  Certainly it made me more understanding. And it has made me ever fearful for my three other children. But the longing for him to have lived overlies everything. 

There are various ‘models’ about grieving.  None of them can be exactly applied to every individual because we are all different just as our children were different.  But most models end with an ‘Acceptance’ stage where the parent learns to accept and deal with the reality of their situation. Acceptance does not mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil the parent has experienced, she or he can never return to the carefree, untroubled person that existed before this tragedy.  They are irrevocably changed but they can go on to live their lives as 'normal' people.  Shortly after David died I worried that I might forget him in the sense of not bringing him to mind every day.  There probably has been the odd day when I haven’t thought of him.  But is has been only the odd day in 28 years.

Parents should not outlive their children and today is a day for remembering that.  And, because of that, I am also thinking about GB and Carol (parents of my nephew and godson, Andrew); Sue and Dave (Tom’s parents); Katie and Adam (Archie’s parents); and many other parents that I met through the Alder Centre at Alder Hey Hospital.  Sadly, the list is endless.

P.S.  I'm not seeking sympathy in the comments - I simply had to record the day somehow.

14 comments:

  1. Never forgotten. Thank you for writing this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for recording the day. Every year, on the anniversary of our daughter's stillbirth after the surgery meant to save her, i mark it somehow also. It never leaves you, this weight of empty air you grab when you reach for them, and weight that feels like it will break your arms.

    You and Jo are in my prayers by name each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to respond to this by e-mail. Perhaps you might send me your e-mail address to scriptorsenex@gmail.com ?

      Delete
  3. Remembering David with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have happy memories of when "everything was perfect". Young David looks like a happy fellow and probably had a lot to say. I'm so sorry that he wasn't given enough time to say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never forget the ones who have gone before. Hardly a day goes by when I don't think of my mother, dad, or my aunt Sadie, or my lifelong friend Charles who died an untimely death at 48. But though it can be painful, it's probably good that we are able to remember and share the important things about them and their lives. Take care of yourselves and God bless, xoxox Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. His spirit lives on. Life does not end, only the empty shell is left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only want to acknowledge and agree that a parent should not outlive our children. I so far I am lucky but at the same time I fear a phone call someday to be told about my son ( also David) who has chosen a life of drugs and crime.. I fear he will be found in some gutter one day.. But I always hope that he will get help and change his ways...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living with that fear must be dreadful (such an inadequate word really). I join you in sending hope that he will choose to change his ways and have the strength and courage to do so.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet little face. Thank you for sharing his memory and life here. Big hugs to you and your family on this special day of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Special day of remembrance on the anniversary of his birth. And as Yaya has said above, a very sweet face indeed.
    My Dad lost his son and I know what you mean about being fearful for your other children. He had five more after the loss of his son and once I learned of him losing his son, it made sense to me of how much he looked after us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I meant to say, that his son was also named David.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how parents bear it when something happens to their children.My younger brother died shortly after his birth and two of my playmates when we were toddlers. I was so little, but it marked me. Thinking of you and Jo on this special day of remembrance! Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  12. David "is" still with you and he will always be remembered.
    Those are the words on my brother's tombstone..."Always Remembered" and they speak volumes.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive