Friday 13 November 2009

Friday My Town Shoot-out - Places of Worship

This weeks Friday My Town Shoot-out is Places of Worship, chosen by Rebecca. Why not visit her blog to see her photos.

Liverpool in the UK is remarkable for having two wonderful, but very different, cathedrals. They lie at the opposites end of the appropriately named Hope Street and the city is noted for having had it’s senior clergy working together in an ecumenical manner. I shall blog in more detail on them another time.


 

Liverpool Anglican Cathedral – the houses in the foreground have long since been demolished as part of Liverpool’s slum clearance.


 

Liverpool Roman Catholic Cathedral.



Anne Hathaway’s cottage – a place of pilgrimage for those who worship Shakespeare.



It’s easy to worship a deity when you look over the countryside from Earl’s Hill in Shropshire.



My children's  great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather worshipped in this Cotswold church!



The Roman defenders of Hadrian’s Wall worshipped Gods like Jupiter, Mars, and Quirinus.



The only medieval English cathedral with three spires (Lincoln).



Some people, of course, simply worship money!



You can worship Ra, the Egyptian God of the Sun, if the weather is right.



And a rainbow can appear anywhere:- "I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth... .. the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh." Gen 9:13,15



Some places of worship are fairly remote - St Michael's in Cornwall requires one to be pretty devout to get to it..


 
 

A somewhat older place of worship – Stonehenge. (You can tell this photo was taken in the 60s – not only by the mini skirt but by the fact that we could walk among the stones. Nowadays close access is denied which I think is an awful shame. Are they afraid someone will pinch them?)



Me, I worship the trees...  (Ainsdale Nature Reserve, Merseyside)



and the mountains – (Cader Idris, North Wales.)

I hope you'll forgive me rambling all around England today. If you would like to see other members' shoot-outs please go to the home blog and visit the members in the sidebar.



19 comments:

  1. fantastic series of worship places. love the medieval cathedral and stonehenge. have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed that look around your various places of worship. Loved the little Colswold church and St Michael's in Cornwall. And Stonehenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful photos. And I love the stories they tell.
    Where is the one with three spires located? Most intriguing.
    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops - sorry Carol - I meant to put in that it was Lincoln Cathedral so I have gone back and edited the post to save anyone else wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a new theme to me...glad l came to visit today!! great theme and post...unusual and interesting...

    saz x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great coverage on this theme! So many interesting places. Although I don't worship Shakespeare, I sure do like the looks of Ann Hathaway's cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are beautiful. I would be hard pressed to find a building in Ontario (besides the Parliament Buildings) with the serene beauty of an English Cathedral. Barry and I visited Anne Hathaway's Cottage on a rainy day in October. On the way back to Dunstable, there was a rainbow on one side of the green countryside and a golden setting sun on the other. Thanks for the memories, Scriptor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worship the trees, myself. And the creative force at the center of the universe, and human potential...

    Not much chance of worshiping the Sun God from where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the scholium, Scriptor! :0)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful. And what is the reason for closing off Stonehenge?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allegedly, DH, the reason for fencing off Stonehenge is to save it from the damage caused by tourists! In fact, I believe you now cannot see it without parking in an expensive car park and then walking to a field nearby. Perhaps the car park charges have something to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful collection of photos, cleverly linked together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful tour and take CJ. I enjoyed that very much.

    Worship is such a strange concept isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the variety of photos. Fabulous views!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your selection a truly beautiful.

    I also read your newer post ..I'm going on a cruise to Noumea next year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow..loved them all..sorry am late this week! Loved the ones of STonehenge!! Wow!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Besides the shots of Stonehenge, which are wonderful, my favorite of these was the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that first shot is amazing. I loved all of your pictures and the scenery is so lush and beautiful in all of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great dialog, and the ramble around was very interesting. the first photo remeinds im of the chapel at san michel in France - interesting when you run across overlaps in archetecture.
    hugs from Brasil

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive