Monday 8 October 2007

Fungi



It's that time of year when fungi are most prevalent and I shall be turning to my fungi identification guides for assistance in the next day or so. Each aspect of natural history that interests me has its own field guides and I have a fair number for every family that one commonly comes across on one's travels. I only keep the principal ones in my quick access bookcase and that has 156 books and many pamphlets covering the whole gamut of wildlife in the plant, animal and fungi kingdoms. The rest of my guides are scattered around the house and in the loft. Fungi are so complex and varied a group I have 18 books in my quick reference section - that is nearly 9% of my total. And still I struggle!

There are lots of fungi websites but few are that helpful. Nevertheles, just recently I have discovered a site that may turn out to be of some value. It is
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
"The site is based on Roger Phillips seminal work 'Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain and Europe' and the similar book published on the mushrooms and Fungi of North America. Roger's twenty-year study will make the site the most complete collection of photographs and mushroom information from both sides of the Atlantic ever assembled. We already have over 3000 images on our site to help you identify and learn more about the mushrooms of Europe and North America! "

1 comment:

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive