Monday 20 August 2007

Define:

I presume most people know that if you want to define a word you can put ‘Define: word’ into Google and it will list definitions from a host of sources. I was amused to find a glitch in the system the other day. When I put in ‘Define: Black Hole’ one of the definitions was “the point in the sky that is directly over the head of the observer.” Since the site seemed to be an educational one I went to it out of curiosity. Guess what the header of the page was -

Quiz
Directions: Match the vocabulary words on the left with the definitions on the right.
There then followed a list of words and a list of unrelated definitions alongside them – so presumably Google would, for example, define an eclipse as...... the force by which a planet or other such body tends to draw objects toward its center.

Oops!



1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that. When I put in'helicopter' I arrived at a Linux test site. C'etait tres interessant n'etait pas?

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive