Wednesday, 18 August 2010
The Ichneumonoidea are insects classified in the hymenopteran suborder Apocrita. The superfamily is made up of the ichneumon wasps (often inaccurately called "ichneumon flies"; family Ichneumonidae) and the braconids (family Braconidae).
The superfamily Ichneumonoidea has been estimated to contain well over 80,000 different species. They are solitary insects, and most are parasitoids—the larvae feeding on or in another insect which finally dies. As with all hymenopterans, ichneumons are closely related to ants and bees.
Some species use many different insects as a host, others are very specific in host choice. Various ichneumons are used successfully as biological control agents in controlling pests such as flies or beetles.
Jennifer Owen spent 30 years surveying insects in her garden in Leicester. She identified 1602 species of which 529 were ichneumons. They were the most common group of insects in the garden – more common than beetles or bees or flies. Of these 529 species, 15 were new to Britain and 4 completely new to science. Later she added a further 74 species.
The Biodiversity of Urban Gardens (BUGS) project in Sheffield, which finished in 2002, also found that the ichneumonidae were the most common group of insects.
Posted by Scriptor Senex at 00:34
- ► 2013 (148)
- ► 2012 (227)
- ► 2011 (230)
- Icons of Englishness
- Happy Monday - Mary had a little lamb...
- Philip Stanhope, Lord Chesterfield
- Friday My Town Shoot-out
- Three reasons never to be unhappy
- Think of a caption...
- Wednesday Wildlife - Broad-bodied Chaser
- Tuesday's Thoughts
- Gorleston, Nr. Great Yarmouth
- Happy Monday – One-liners
- Trivia Galore
- The Lotty Sleigh
- The War in the Vendée
- Wednesday Wildlife - Ichneumon Wasps
- Lilac-breasted Roller
- Happy Monday - Time for that old person's home?
- How would you like your hair cutting?
- Blogger goofed
- Friday My Town - Shoot-out - Roads and pathways
- Manners makyth man
- Wednesday Wildlife - The Caribbean hermit crab
- Sheep Street, Chipping Campden
- Happy Monday - Grandma and Grandpa
- Alexander Beetle
- Friday My Town Shoot-out - Smells
- A load of old chairs
- Wednesday Wildlife - Tiger Beetles
- Things Mum and Dad said...
- Happy Monday - For all my Women Readers...
- Some old photos
- ▼ August (33)
- ► 2009 (629)
- ► 2008 (775)