Sunday 5 February 2017

Port Sunlight Tea Rooms

I have done posts on the model village of Port Sunlight before - both on my Rambles blog (the Edwardian tea rooms) and on my 'On the Wirral' blog (housing styles and the memorial).  I've also done various posts on the Lady Lever Art Gallery in Port Sunlight.

Port Sunlight is somewhere that Partner-who-loves-tea and I regularly visit and we called in there last month and had tea in the tea rooms that used to be the Post Office.

The Post Office and houses in Greendale Road shown here were built between 1891 and 1894 as part of the model village of Port Sunlight. Built by Lever Brothers to house the workers in their soap works the village was characterised by wide roads and broad pavements. Many of the buildings here were built to look like they were from the Tudor period, this is known as 'mock Tudor 'style.







14 comments:

  1. You had brilliant weather that day! The building looks beautiful. I love the concept of model villages and would really like to visit one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nostalgic place. I can almost imagine them drinking tea so long ago. What a fun place to just walk around and take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Tudor and Mock Tudor style, looks like a great place for a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember reading about this before on your blog and I would visit it as much as possible if I were you!
    "Every house is unique", that is one thing I remember reading about the houses at Port Sunlight. The whole idea impresses me greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea rooms that used to be a post office... The only thing better would be a place that still is both!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely lovely.Port Sunlight Tea Rooms is a poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mock Tudor or not, the place looks worth a visit! Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Port Sunlight really is a most delightful place and although some people have criticised the Leverhulme 'benevolent employer' approach I think the great majority of people who have benefited from it would praise it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the picture of the traditional afternoon tea. That is a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post, John!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That place looks right up my alley! (Not literally, but you know what I meant.) Tell them their tea tin collection isn't complete until they've got a vintage Mazawattee tin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful house pics. thanks for the sharing with us.\

    Silver Jackpot Plan | Silver Jackpot Call

    ReplyDelete
  13. Port sunlight is a delight. Never regretted moving there

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive