Thursday 21 June 2012

Etsy


 (Apologies for the font going berserk - Heaven alone knows why it's done this...)

Looking back through my innumerable posts as I’ve rambled from my chair I’m surprised to find I have never extolled the virtues of Etsy.  Do you use Etsy?  There are some super sites on it.  I used to think it was simply a place to get hand-made goods (and I think that was how it started out) but nowadays you can get all sorts. As with all such sites the prices vary but there are some really good value items to be had.

A few years ago I bought some hand-made mittens for Jo from Etsy.  At the time I think they were almost the only fingerless gloves on the site.   

 Not that I was complaining as both pair were attractive and useful.  Now, if you put fingerless gloves in their search engine you get 18,437 items. Like Wow!  Etsy appears to have grown somewhat.

 

As the site says – “Buy and sell handmade or vintage items, art and supplies on Etsy, the world's most vibrant handmade marketplace. Share stories through millions of items from …” cats’ eye glasses  to a group of 57  Antique (and rusty) FrenchKeys on a Ring or a vintage cakes and tea set.


And the descriptions of the goods on some of the sites (like Roz Russell’s) are worth reading even if you aren’t after vintage tablecloths or a vintage donut*maker.   

                                                           *That’s doughnut in proper British English.

5 comments:

  1. Admittedly, I have not looked at Etsy very much myself yet, but my Mum has recently set up her own Etsy shop for her hand-knitted socks, and I am shamelessly promoting her shop through my blog, with a "Mini Etsy" (as it is officially called, or is it Etsy Mini?) visible on the left side at the top of my blog.
    The mittens look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me about Etsy and the info that there is far more on there than I realised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't bought from Etsy, but my daughter has. I need to spend time looking at it. (Not that I need to buy a darn thing!) Fingerless gloves? Really? I love the things. My family thought I was nuts. I think we are kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Etsy, shop there all the time. We have an art studio there too.
    Macque Art Studio.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive