Tuesday 24 June 2008

SIRENS to sirens



In Greek mythology, the Sirens were three dangerous bird-women, portrayed as seductresses, who lived on an island called Sirenum scopuli which was surrounded by cliffs and rocks. Seamen who sailed near were decoyed by the Sirens' enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast. Although they lured mariners, the sirens were not sea deities. I think I heard the Sirens when I was on Lewis - I was certainly being lured there.

By contrast, the sirens here in Pensby belong to emergency vehicles. There was one evening at GB’s when we heard a lot of vehicle sirens. It was cause for much comment when Jane called in for a chat. Today I have lost count of the number of sirens I have heard. They are quite normal here. In fact, the only reason I even thought to blog about them was the fact that one just went past our house at 11.15 at night at what sounded like about eighty miles an hour . (We live in a 30mph limit!) I am not exaggerating though I accept that judging speed by siren sound is not a precise art.

I think I preferred the Sirens with a capital 'S'.

1 comment:

  1. ss,

    For me, the sirens have always been some of the most vivid and interesting characters in Greek mythology. This is a great picture, one that I did not see anywhere else on Google Image Search.

    wishing your health,
    r

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive