Wednesday 9 April 2008

Cornflake Crunch

 

GB asked me for the Cornflake Crunch recipe recently and when I gave it to him I couldn’t say how much crushed cornflake to use. That didn’t matter because he knows it well enough to just add them “until it’s the right consistency”. That is hardly an adequate way of wording the recipe so I thought I’d make it yesterday and then put the ‘proper’ recipe on the blog. In the end I forgot to weigh the cornflakes!!!


Basically it is very simple -
Slowly heat 6oz of butter, 6 tablespoons syrup, 9 tablespoons sugar and ¼ pound of cooking chocolate. Crush a load of cornflakes. Add crushed cornflakes mix well and keep adding crushed cornflakes for as long as the mixture continues to colour and bind them.
Press the mixture evenly into greased flan dishes or baking tins depending upon whether you want square / oblong or triangular pieces. Cut the shapes while still warm. Leave for an hour to cool and serve.



As you can tell from the pictures the top one had less chocolate in it - which is my personal preference. Reducing the chocolate by about half does not seem to affect the binding and makes it less chocolatey (obviously) but also, in some people's opinion, more sickly. So the moral of this recipe is (like many others) - just add the basic ingredients in whatever proportions you want until you get a flavour and consistency you like.

1 comment:

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive