A settlement has existed at Crickhowell at least since the Iron Age when settlers built a fort on the top of Crug Hywel, also called Table Mountain after its flat top. In the town a motte and bailey castle, remains of which still exist, was built by the Normans.
A well known feature of Crickhowell is the bridge spanning the River Usk.
Built in 1706, it was modified in 1828/30 resulting in thirteen arches on the upstream side, with twelve on the downstream side.
It is the longest stone arch bridge in Wales.
The Bridge End Inn.
Next to the bridge, opposite the Bridge End Inn, is Bullpit meadow
It is an ideal place to sit and watch the wildlife on the river.
The flowers included White Dead-nettle.
The Sallow catkins were losing their seeds to the slightest of breezes.
There were plenty of House Sparrows, Pied Wagtails and Grey Wagtails bobbing around near our feet. P-w-l-t saw a kingfisher but the chances of photographing one are similar to those of winning the lottery.
Much more sedate were the Mallards and the Swans.
Mrs Mallard was keeping an eye on her duckling.
A Merganser led its tribe of Merganserlings (or whatever baby mergansers are called) along the river.
And a Heron stopped to digest its fishy breakfast.