Wednesday 27 February 2013

Ponytails Ahoy!

081212 cje 2781a gd
My hair is now the longest it has ever been. Just about longer than when I was at college. It was growing nicely at college when GB got married and I had to be moderately respectable for the wedding. When I retired I let it grow but then we moved house and I thought I’d better look reasonable for my new neighbours – for a while at least. It was growing nicely when Daughter-who-loves-food got married – another haircut necessary. A couple more years and Daughter-who-takes-photos followed suit and I had it trimmed again. Not quite so much that time though. And now it’s had some more time to grow. Ponytail here I come.
220213 cje 4666
The Goddess Wiki tells me "A ponytail is a hairstyle in which some, most, or all of the hair on the head is pulled away from the face, gathered and secured at the back of the head with a hair tie, clip, or other similar device, and allowed to hang freely from that point. It gets its name from its resemblance to the undocked tail of a horse or pony. Ponytails are most commonly gathered at the middle of the back of the head, or the base of the neck. Depending on fashions, they may also be worn at the side of the head (which is sometimes considered formal) which is worn over one ear, or on the very top of the head (allowing the hair to fall down the back or one side of the head). If the hair is divided so that it hangs in two sections they are bunches or pigtails if left loose, or pigtails or braids if plaited. Unbraided ponytails worn above each ear are sometimes called dog-ears. It is common for those who wear tight ponytails to experience traction alopecia, a form of hair loss. Sometimes it will cause a headache. Ha, ha! Just as if..."
20130215_142649a
Do you know how to grow your hair faster? I thought I'd look it up. It said "Ensure you are having your daily intake of Zinc and Iron; have a healthy diet; and take plenty of vitamins B and C". I can do that. “Massage your scalp – if you do this regularly, it gets the blood flowing in your roots which promotes hair growth." Dad did that and he kept a fine head of hair into his nineties. Then I came to the bit that said "Maintain good general health and avoid stress". Oh well, I wasn't that bothered about it growing quickly.

14 comments:

  1. With that hairstyle you could either be a rock star (what kind of music DO you like, it strikes me I have no idea?!) or Minister for Finance. (Our Swedish Minister for Finance has a ponytail. Google images for Anders Borg and you'll see.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My music tastes tend to be classical (Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Grieg, Beethoven level, avoiding Shostakovich and what I would call discordant ones), choral (especially motets and Gregorian chant), some opera (especially Mozart again), operetta (Gilbert and Sullivan), Welsh Valleys choral music, and pop and rock and roll from the 1960s and 1970s. Which I tend to play is dependent upon my mood at the time.

      Delete
  2. An interesting excursion into the world of hair styles! It's been a while since my hair was long enough for me to be able to wear it in a ponytail... my hair is too thin and fine for it to nice when it is more than chin-length.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee!!! Now Ms. Ivy has something else interesting to play with.
    You have a striking resemblance to my Mathematics teacher Mr. Tindale with that ponytail look CJ. I was always fascinated by it, and maybe that's why I did not pass GCE Maths, but went on to conquer Maths at university.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Virginia. But even without the pony tail she has a tendency to sit on the back of my chair and play with my hair or jump on the bed and nuzzle around in it.

      Delete
  4. It suits you - good idea to grow it. My hair never grows longer than just below shoulder length. WHen I was a young thing I yearned for hair down to my waist, but the hairs just fell out before they got any longer. Of course I had not read that stuff about zinc and iron....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. Responses have included cool, interesting, etc. Yours is the only one to actually say it suits me. (Yee, I know I split an infinitive there, GB). Partner-who-loves-tea tells me it suits me but I know she would do that any way because she knows how much I have wanted it this length.
      The best reaction was from Son-who-watches-films. He took one look at it and asked didI want a cup of tea in order to change the subject. When pressed for a comment he said it was 'OK' in that tone of voice which says it's just about OK.

      Delete
  5. Cool! Something else we have in common -- a ponytail!

    Though mine is going to be considerably shorter after this afternoon's appt. at the salon. Hair supposedly grows 1/2 inch a month, but I'm sure mine grows much faster than that. Which is why for the last few years I've been lazy and let it grow so that I can pin it back. Otherwise, it seems as if I spend all my time fussing with my hair, and who wants to do that?

    I have too many other things to do -- too many books to read, too much housework to avoid .... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a friend who has longish hair like yours. I was looking at him the other day and I figured out that it's not really growing longer in back, it's just sliding farther down his head..he's pretty bald up front! Jack's hair is very curly so his won't grow long..just big! He had an afro in the 70's that was 44in. around! Hope you can keep your long locks...just don't move or have any more weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I once bought a shampoo and conditioner that promised fast hair growth. I'm not sure if it really works but at the time, I thought my hair was growing at a quick speed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look gorgeous! I like this photo with a tablet PC (?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mish. Yes, I am playing with my Nexus 7. The decal on the back was from http://www.decalgirl.com/

      Delete
  9. Yes, yes - long hair suits you to a tee! I've always heard that eggs and vitamin E are what help hair. Another well-known trick is taking the pre-natal vitamins they give expectant mamas. Supposedly those make your hair and fingernails grow super fast. If you're not careful I suppose you could wake up looking like a werewolf, though. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I prefer your hair short, but then you prefer mine long so I guess we're even!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive