Tuesday 19 February 2013

A Right Royal Ramble



Prince Harry
Prince Harry, the pygmy hippo, is a star – according to the South Africa Star!  After his mother, Hilda, refused to feed him, Harry had to be fed a mixture of milk and water by Ranch employees every three hours.


 Queen Victoria


Queen Victoria’s wedding dress and wedding shoes. She set the fashion for white bridal gowns, which has continued to this day.




Visit California
There is an advert on TV at the moment designed to encourage one to visit California.  It never fails to make me burst out laughing as the young lady begins “People have a lot of misconceptions about California.  But none of them are really true.”  She then goes on to list some of the misconceptions. If the misconceptions are not true, then the conceptions are true!!!  Sorry Californians but it does make me laugh!


Steak

After investigation by the authorities, Tesco have acknowledged that some of their products have horse meat in them.  A mere 29% in their burgers but 100% in their spaghetti Bolognese.  It’s a good job their spaghetti Bolognese has hardly any meat in any way!
Fortunately for me the streak that Son-who-watches-films cooked for me the other day was from our local Co-operative store. And it was the most perfect sirloin steak, most perfectly cooked, that I have ever had.  It was so tender it almost melted in the mouth.  There was no gristle or fat to be left on the plate at the end. If I had been served that in a restaurant I would have assumed I was in one of those places run by a famous chef.  I wonder if Son-who-watches-films appreciates just how good he is!  


The first bionic hand that can feel
The first bionic hand that allows an amputee to feel what they are touching will be transplanted later this year in a pioneering operation that could introduce a new generation of artificial limbs with sensory perception.






20 comments:

  1. I did my definitive growing up in California, about 500 miles from Los Angeles and Disneyland, and about 150 miles from San Francisco. California is full of feisty little towns that look down on each other, miles and miles of orchards and farms, more danger from flooding than from earthquakes, and its very quiet. There's California for you, based on real experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like Liverpool, Dennis, everyone knocks the place except those who live there and they are very proud of it. Though they still knock it among themselves they'd never knock it 'in public'.

      Delete
  2. Interesting post, cute hippo and I like Queen Victoria's wedding dress, still stylish today.
    No way would I willingly eat horse meat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sleeping baby hippo, how adorable.
    Spaghetti BoloNEIGHese, they should re-name it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't we ALL want a pygmy hippo??? So cute!
    I'd love to know what all the misconceptions are about California that she's speaking of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my pygmy hippo on order already. Hopefully it won't sit on my keyboard like Ivy is doing as I write this....

      Delete
  5. The right royals, a little Prince Harry and the larger than life Queen Victoria. Both have made an impact on others. That's a damning revelation from Tesco. I only buy but never eat so it's ok. A bionic hand that does wonders. It certainly helps in emotion building! Nicely John!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoyed the sundry of info today.
    even though California is beautiful, I can't stand the trash news that comes from there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh! I forgot to say how cute Prince Harry Hippo is! what an adorable creature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. “People have a lot of misconceptions about California. But none of them are really true.” One could run a competition to see how many grammatical aberrations or errors the quote contains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, that hippo proves that ALL babies are cute! How could he mother reject him? Even I want to feed him! Love the wedding dress...so elegant..fit for a Queen! I know the commercial you're talking about. I always say that California is like a box of cereal..full of nuts and flakes. I have relatives there and I still feel it's a crazy place! My Uncles tried to lure my Dad into moving there in the 60's...He said there was no way he would raise his kids in that environment! (However, I do love the ocean!) The meat issue is just fuel for vegans to digest..me..I'm a true carnivore..please give me a medium rare steak any day..I'd even eat it with that mechanical hand if I had too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all of us wanted to be in California in the 60s. It was the Mecca of good songs and the 'easy', relaxed lifestyle. We dreamed - and then got back to the real world and worked for a living.

      Delete
  10. CJ, what an enjoyable ramble this post was today.
    I think I'm in love with the pygmy hippo Prince Harry.
    I've seen that California ad dozens of times, and I always smile at the quips.
    Tell son-who-watches-films that he is doing a good job of catering to his dad with his great cooking skills.
    Actually my daughter cooked me a lovely pumpkin split pea soup after my dentist appointment today. They are proving their worth after all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need a few more meals before agreeing "They are proving their worth after all!!!"

      Delete
  11. The little hippo certainly has star quality; reminds me a bit of Kurt, the polar bear that was hand-reared years ago in Berlin. Now both Kurt and his adoptive (human) father are dead.

    The entire horsemeat scandal is going past me. I do not eat much meat, and never buy ready-made lasagne, spaghetti bolognese or anything like it.

    Great to have such an accomplished cook in the household!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh... Wow! Such a brilliant mixture of facts!
    Prince Harry - so small!! I was sure they are born erm... bigger... Looks like a puppy :) (now)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scriptor,
    I know my comment was awful.
    I should be horse-whipped.

    That's the last one, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. California is a big place. I would not suggest a visit to Los Angeles, but San Francisco is interesting.

    What you probably would enjoy is flying into Pierre, South Dakota. Spend a day getting to know a few select locals and have dinner at Mad Mary's Saloon. Then take a drive out to see Mount Rushmore, stopping at the Pioneer Museum and Wall Drug along the way. Spend the night in Deadwood and see the famous Deadwood museum. When you get back to Pierre, go on over to Teton River gun shop and tell old Cody you're a friend of mine and you'd like to go out shooting. He'll take you out and let you fire off the Thompson machine gun he's got, among other things.

    You'd have a good time. Believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you are OK John, you read The Daily Mail!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive