Monday 25 February 2013

Monday’s thoughts

Quotes of the Day

‘While a gentleman is speaking to you do not let your eager attention and visible preference betray the flutter of your heart.’

from John Gregory “A Father’s Legacy to his Daughters”, a popular conduct book of 1774.

‘On the first date, avoid staring romantically into his eyes. Otherwise he will know that you’re planning the honeymoon.’

from Ellen Fein & Sherrie Schneider “The Rules: Time-tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr Right”, 1995.

Wi-Fi Indoor Plant Sensor Indoor

KoubachiDid you forget to water the plants? Well, Koubachi is here to change all that. This revolutionary Wi-Fi plant sensor tells you when and how to care for your friendly Ficus (or any other indoor plant). All you have to do is stick the sensor in the soil, download an app, and listen for a notification on your phone! Now, there’s no excuse to let that poor plant die

That’s in the past

For the past ten years I have had to move the washing machine whenever the electricity meter reader has called. It’s our fault for having the washing machine in the corner where it is but there’s nowhere else for it. So I rock it and heave it until eventually the man can stoop down and shine his torch on the meter and read the numbers. This is the tall thin man who called at the door and simply stood there with a miserable look and said ‘Electric’ like it was ‘Open sesame’. He wrote the numbers in his book and without a word turned and headed for the door. My only consolation was that every time he left, despite my ‘Mind the step’ he managed to trip on the little black strip at the bottom of the doorway.

This week a different man called. A jolly little man, more round of body and face. “May I read the electricity meter, please?” So different. I brought him in and began my usual heaving act only to have him shout “Hold it!” “I expect we can manage without all that effort,” he said. I must admit my immediate reaction was that if tall thin man couldn’t see it then surely pleasantly fubsy meter reader wouldn’t be able to see into the space. He instantly proved me wrong by leaning over and sticking his head in the gap. “5432” (or whatever), he exclaimed. “There we are, that was easy – no need to move it. Thanks very much.”

He left with another “Thank you” and, because he took notice of my warning, he managed to exit without stumbling. In the past I had been left with a washing machine to move back into place and a distinct sense of disgruntlement at the world. This time I thanked him profusely as he left and returned to what I was doing with a distinct sense of all being well with the world.

When you visit someone with a job to do, what a difference an attitude makes.

By popular request

230213 ivy 4676 “Who are you looking at?”

230213 ivy 4673“OK – you want a photo do you?”

230213 ivy 4672“Well, why didn’t you say you wanted me to face this way?”

11 comments:

  1. I think both quotes still stand true today and we women should take heed.
    I also like the story of your washing machine/meter reader guy. What a difference an attitude can make. More people should be that jolly when they do their job.
    I once had a set of sheets that had images of cats on them and my dog, Sheeba (before Sasha) used to nip at the sheets, thinking that the cats were real. Funny. Love your cat photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! No better way to start the week than looking at Ivy-pictures first thing Monday morning, coffee mug in hand!

    You are so right about the attitude making a huge difference - to both the person who does the job and the customer. It is actually worth telling the leccy people about. I am sure they get commplaint letters, so why not send them a positive message for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I'm not sure who the meter reading is contracted out to but hopefully it wll get back to them.

      Delete
  3. Re the plant sensor, I don't think it would work for me. I have an alarm for my 6:00 pm medication. I hear it go, but I don't always get it immediately and of course I end up forgetting again!

    Now Scruffy, he doesn't stop meowing pitifully if his dish is close to empty. Ivy is looking beautiful as usual and SO cooperative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have a plaque made saying "Attitude is everything" because it is a truism which applies to almost everything we are and do. What an excellent reminder of that was your new meter reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting Ivy photos. Loved them...made my day.
    ATTITUDE is everything. Makes a difference between seeing the glass half-empty or half-full.
    I love nice service people, they're the ones that are offered a drink on a hot day, and a nice gift at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cat-pictures are priceless, looks like you've got Ivy well trained by now! :)
    How nice of the meter reader to save you the effort, and make one himself!
    Here two men came the other day to inspect the installation of the optic cable, phew am I glad I shifted the furniture around after the first job (now only a small chest of drawers in front of the cable box instead of a full bookcase).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could really relate to your washing machine story, as our machine is by the back door. And when it needed to be replaced, we had a job finding one exactly the same size to fit in the space.

    Love the Ivy photos. And such a pretty blue china cat too.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Usually any dating advice was given to my date from my Dad.."I have a gun and I know how to use it" was how it went, I believe. Your nice meter reading story reminded me of a scary one I had. In our first home we had the water meter in the basement. The meter reader would come into the house of course to read it. One time, right after Christmas, I was home alone and this guy just knocked once, opened the door and came in. I was in my pajamas and was so startled I didn't even stop him. When he was done reading the meter, he preceded to sit down in the livingroom and look over the gifts sitting around. I was standing in the diningroom now and plotting my exit..when he jumped up and left...we had the meter installed outside the next day. (and I never left the door unlocked when I was alone!) Love Ivy's friend...everyone, or cat, should have a true blue buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Knowing you, I'm surprised you didn't devise a long stick with a torch and mirror taped to the end, nine years and eleven months ago!

    Also, now that you've posted those pics of Ivy and friend, I'll have to get my black cat posing and see if I can match them! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun cat pics and like the meter reader's visit.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive