Tuesday 12 February 2013

A question - or twenty...



How come Ruth just added a comment to a post I did in June 2008 about ‘Can you spin bog cotton?’? Does a Google search for ‘spinning bog cotton’ bring up my blog, I wonder?   Why does my phone whistle to me at 6.06 a.m.?   Why have I been feeling so yuck this last week? Who was the first person to look at a cow and say "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here and drink what comes out"?   Does this super postcard from Yaya remind you of anyone?





Why does your gynecologist leave the room when you undress? Why are good books always so much shorter than you want them to be?  If a man is walking in a forest and no woman is there to hear him is he still wrong?  Why did the Department of Work and Pensions tell me I had won my appeal against being considered fit for work last month only to start the whole process of medicals and questionnaires again this month?  What is the definition of ‘winning’?  Can I sue the DWP for stress injury? Do we really live in a Welfare State?   Why is it called alcoholics "anonymous" when the first thing you do is stand up and say "Hi, my name's Bob; I'm an alcoholic."?  Which is uglier – the Snakehead Fish or the Angler Fish? 


Am I going to be able to get the Psammead trilogy free on my Nexus tablet?  Why am I still exhausted and nauseous and in pain?  Which is more important - breathing in or breathing out?  Are you going to be treated to anything more than a series of questions today?  Is Post-Secret really the largest advertisement-free blog in the world?  Answers on a postcard please to…


17 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the appeal - are you having to deal with that awful company that was on Panorama a few months ago? And I do hope you feel better soon. I am searching for a suitable postcard to send you. Now, I'm going to read your post about Candlemas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jenny, it's the poor civil service. And most of them are not enjoying the job they are doing. They thought their job was to help people not add to their difficulties. One of the men Jo spoke to was resigning over the issue.

      Delete
  2. I've always been so glad that doctors leave you in peace to undress and dress again - it's that small bit of privacy that allows you to feel you have some control over the situation. Getting into and out of structural undergarments in an unfamiliar setting can be awkward for women, and it's nice to be able to cover your bits up (even if it is only a paper gown) before facing the exam.

    Oh, and the angler fish is so much more than ugly. Terrifying would be a lot closer to the mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought someone would take that question seriously but I didn't think it would be you!!! And no, you don't have any control over the situation but it's nice to think you do.

      Delete
  3. I have another unanswerable question for you. It was posed by my five-year-old nephew to his mother at 6AM: if God made everything, who made God?

    Try answering that before you've even had time to have a cup of tea!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't answer that even after my third cup of tea. Erm... Help!

      Delete
  4. Oh John,

    You have no idea how much I needed that laugh. Thank you very, very much.
    So sorry to learn that you have been feeling under the weather lately. Hope you are feeling better now.

    From a very "cheered up" me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you are so needing a laugh. I'll try to amuse you more. Love J

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure what ebook-format your Nexus tablet uses but I think http://www.gutenberg.org/ provides a variety of options for different e-readers. I wish the other questions were as easy to answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A practical answeer - thank you, Dawn Treader!

      Delete
  6. PS. And ah, yes - googling "spinning bog cotton" does bring up your blog. Top post on the search page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope all your medical horrors sort themselves out soon. You already know how I feel about government employees. I am hoping that the next time you call to query your case, that you will be answered by some caring soul who will point you in the right direction in order to solve your case.
    As for the other questions you posed....too many to answer right now.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many questions...not enough answers! The one that jumped out at me was the doctor office visit question. Hmm..I wonder why? Anyway, my Sister was complaining about going to the doctor and all the joy involved in that. I reminded her that I live in a small town and work in the small town hospital. I work with all the small town doctors who also happen to me my doctors when I have to go for a checkup...I then asked her how she would like to get all her "nooks and crannies" checked out by her boss...that was the end of her complaints. Sure hope you're feeling better and I do love that postcard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the expression 'nooks and crannies' at the best of timjes but in this context it's brilliant. And I would have been pretty unhappy about having my private parts examined by my boss! Poor you.

      Delete
  9. Yesterday, I downloaded many free Edith Nesbit ebooks to my Kindle from amazon.com, the Psammead trilogy being part of the batch. I am sure you'll find them for your tablet, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You. Make. Me. Laugh!. Thank you, John!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive