Tuesday 15 June 2010

Lament

Blustalking recently made reference to the poem Lament by Edna St. Vincent Millay. I knew neither the poet nor the poem but on looking it up on the net I found it. I think it is quite a powerful piece of imagery.

LAMENT
by: Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892-1950)

LISTEN, children:
Your father is dead.
From his old coats
I'll make you little jackets;
I'll make you little trousers
From his old pants.
There'll be in his pockets
Things he used to put there,
Keys and pennies
Covered with tobacco;
Dan shall have the pennies
To save in his bank;
Anne shall have the keys
To make a pretty noise with.
Life must go on,
And the dead be forgotten;
Life must go on,
Though good men die;
Anne, eat your breakfast;
Dan, take your medicine;
Life must go on;
I forget just why.


3 comments:

  1. Very graphic wording, the picture in ones mind is so powerful.
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Powerful is the perfect word, isn't it? The last line is a heart breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely piece of writing. A wonderful poignant irony in just a few lines.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive