Saturday 16 March 2013

It's Saturday



In order to hastily get away from the debate I started with my last post....



Completely free
I am sure that at some stage GB or I have blogged about our dislike of the tautological phrase ‘Free gift’.  I see Amazon have taken our views to heart and are now offering things as completely free.  Completely free!  Duh!  So there are degrees of free?  That explains why some people still use ‘free gift’ – it’s to differentiate their gifts from things that are only partially free…

Sites to visit
Want to see something bizarre and fun?  Then visit Keiko’s post about the Deer Cracker Throwing Contest. 

I like visiting the ZooBorns site.  It always has interesting young animals.

Buffalo Zoo in NewYork has a Polar Bear cub which met the public for the first time last week.  I guess the word cute is applicable here...




I guess it won't be quite so cute when fully grown and hungry.

Wonderful Quotes
On the accidental catching of one of those embarrassingly awful shows -
Even the few seconds to which I'm subjected as I scramble for the remote is enough to drop my IQ by a few points.
Rachel – The RachelChronicles - Tuesday, February 19, 2013

On a sunset -
This evening's departure was like a flamboyant lover who discards fragrant silk scarves across the room as compelling reminders of her ability to continue to seduce on her way out the door.
Tabor - Room withoutWalls - Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." - H C Andersen

The beginning of a speech on the radio this week –
“I’ll keep it brief and succinct as you requested.”
Brief and succinct.  Time for another ‘Duh!’.

On recalling the pitfalls of reading fiction as sex education -
“I was deeply misled by Lady Chatterley’s Lover which seemed to suggest running naked through damp undergrowth was the closest thing to heaven.”  - Julian Barnes

6 comments:

  1. Will the polar bear cub become a second Knut? (Knut was a polar bear cub hand-raised at the Berlin zoo and triggered off a phenomenon dubbed "Knutmania": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_%28polar_bear%29 )

    Most of the books I download to my kindle are "completely free", but they aren't "free gifts" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, cute polar bear! My partner calls it "Blondmish" = blond (white) + mishka (bear)... Well, I should be honest - he calls me a blondmish too... When I'm doing anything silly... :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Brief and succinct". Now there is an interesting and pleonastic start to a brief and succinct speech.

    I'm sure one or both of us has blogged about "free gifts" and if we haven't after all the times we have criticised the phrase why haven't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Deer Cracker Throwing Contest looks like a lot of fun.
    Polar bear babies are cute beyond cute. The Polar bear swim clubs are probably welcoming them into the world with raised glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It actually looks like the polar bear is smiling which is contagious for the human who sees his picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been spending quite a long time on the site you gave – Zooborns. It has the cutest animals. The little river otter today is too cute for words. Thanks for giving that site; I did not know it but now I’ll check it often.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive