Wednesday 27 March 2013

It’s snowing again.…




 "I'm sure that was a Swallow!"

I'm sorry Ivy but 'One swallow does not make a summer'.

A traditional British saying, being an allusion to the return of migrating swallows at the start of the summer season. From a remark by Aristotle (384 BCE - 322 BCE): "One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy." 

On 20th March Martin Mere bird sanctuary recorded an early Swallow or 'Barn Swallow' if you like (which I don't) perched on wires near the car park at 9.40am. Lancashire is to the North of us. It’s unusual to record a Swallow before a Sand Martin and the average date for arrival in Lancashire is the 25th March though the trend is getting earlier.  This Swallow misjudged things.

Despite the snow, Ivy puss decided to explore again.

"Let's have a little wander..."



“It’s much nicer looking out than being out.”

“What was that? Either an Ostrich landed on the conservatory roof or a chunk of snow fell off the rooftop.”


“I blame you for all this white stuff.”


“Did someone mention food?”


“I’m sure I can smell cooking.”


"See you all again soon."
 


15 comments:

  1. She is a beautiful cat. The seventh shot is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable photos of Ivy (as usual).

    Is the orchid? in the top right of the first photo real or fake? It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's artificial - it was a Valentine's gift to P-w-l-t.

      Delete
    2. I look forward to seeing it when we visit

      Delete
  3. Ivy is a lovely looking cat! She tells a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks a real grown-up young lady now, but I am sure Ivy still has a lot of kittenish characteristics about her.
    We've had fresh snow on Saturday and a bit more on Monday, but we have 9 Celsius forecast for tomorrow (which I don't believe yet), which should put an end to the cold white stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really have got one lovely kitten there John.
    Misha is fast asleep in the dog's bed and poor Briagha is on the carpet looking most upset. Dare I turf Misha out?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no - not more snow? We're back to mostly snow free streets around here again now, but still very cold nights, so not on the safe side yet. Today was the first time this year I sat for about 20-30 minutes in the sun on my balcony. Only the tip of my nose bare, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, for one, am glad you have Ivy in your home and in your lives. I miss having a cat to share my life with; we are renting and no pets are allowed. The minute we buy a home again a cat will move in with us. Ivy is not only beautiful, but she obviously adds so much to your daily enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe it's still snowing over there! Gale-force winds and snow - you are having a terrible start to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ivy is lovely, and brave. Cats must have asbestos paws - ours lie out on the pavement when it is in the high 30s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she comes in from the snow she insists in walking all over us - I'm sure it's to get her paws warm and dry! That's what humans are for, isn't it - to make cats comfortable.

      Delete
  10. Thank goodness for Ms.Ivy to liven up things around the house.
    I really wish I could pack all the snow up so that she can wander around outdoors in a sunshine-filled garden of greenery and lots of flowers.
    I love Ivy photo stories...keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at the first picture - how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ivy is a beautiful feline and your photos show how photogenic she is. So sorry about your snow – I wish you had given us some, at least for a day.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive