Wednesday 23 May 2018

Reading can be dangerous


I have just read “The Thirteenth Tale” by Diane Setterfield.  A most enjoyable book to begin my reading again.  The heroine’s father owns a bookshop and reading forms both the background and the foreground to her life.  Asked to write the biography of a reclusive author she finds it impossible to resist the request and becomes more and more absorbed in the author’s life and its remarkable revelations.  I thoroughly recommend it. 

“Still in my coat and hat, I sank onto the stair to read the letter.  (I never read without making sure I am in a secure position.  I have been liked this ever since the age of seven when, sitting on a high wall and reading The Water Babies, I was so seduced by the descriptions of underwater life that I unconsciously relaxed my muscles.  Instead of being held buoyant by the water that so vividly surrounded me in my mind, I plummeted to the ground and knocked myself out.  I can still feel the scar under my fringe now.  Reading can be dangerous.)”

“For me, to see is to read.  It has always been that way.”

5 comments:

  1. Sounds a good book! Reading can be dangerous, indeed... just think of all those people who go about in town, reading messages on their mobile phones while walking into lamp posts and onto busy roads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that book, hated her next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying her next one but it is quite a different style of story.

      Delete
  3. "To see is to read" -- yes, that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read that one and remember liking it although I can't recall any details. Checking my book list that I keep on my PC I find that I read it back in 2009 and in Swedish. So no wonder if my memory is a bit blurry...

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive