Thursday 23 June 2016

Conwy, North Wales


Partner-who-loves-tea and I recently had a trip to Conwy on the North Wales coast so she could do some clothes shopping and I could take some photos.



The Castle is a medieval fortification in Conwy, on the north coast of Wales. It was built by Edward I, during his conquest of Wales, between 1283 and 1289. Constructed as part of a wider project to create the walled town of Conwy, the combined defences cost around £15,000, a huge sum for the period. Over the next few centuries, the castle played an important part in several wars. It withstood the siege of Madog ap Llywelyn in the winter of 1294–95, acted as a temporary haven for Richard II in 1399 and was held for several months by forces loyal to Owain Glyndŵr in 1401.



Following the outbreak of the English Civil War in 1642, the castle was held by forces loyal to Charles I, holding out until 1646 when it surrendered to the Parliamentary armies. In the aftermath the castle was partially slighted by Parliament to prevent it being used in any further revolt, and was finally completely ruined in 1665 when its remaining iron and lead was stripped and sold off.  UNESCO considers Conwy to be one of "the finest examples of late 13th century and early 14th century military architecture in Europe", and it is classed as a World Heritage site.


Llywelyn the Great, founder of Aberconwy Abbey.

But seagulls are no respecters of age or rank!


What is this enchant for hanging bicycles on walls?  There was one on a solicitor's at Abergavenny and now this one.


Typical British icons.


A bake sale for charity - the little cakes were lovely.


And I added to my inn sign collection.


5 comments:

  1. That's a pretty name and sign on the pub, and i would also like to know the history behind using bicycles that way.

    You make history and castles come alive when you post about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another place I've visited quite recently but I've can't remember when I last went round the castle. Thank you for a lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for an excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for "taking me back" there :) I visited it back in 1974, and from what I recall it still looks much the same. I remember that we parked down below and as you already know from my email I have photographic evidence that we walked up "on top" of the castle as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place!
    As for the bikes, at least for Yorkshire I know the answer, but it doesn't apply to other parts of the UK. When the Tour de France had its Grand Depart in Yorkshire in 2014, that's when the whole bike-for-decoration business started. Most of them were painted yellow, as this is Yorkshire's "official" colour (a yellow "Y" is the tourist office's logo).

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive