This is the village of Selworthy.
Allerford is one of a number of hamlets within Selworthy. One of the hamlet's main attractions is the much-photographed packhorse bridge.
Built as a crossing over the River Aller (from which the village gets its name), it is thought to be medieval in origin. Originally the bridge was 12 feet (3.7 m) wide but another 6 feet (1.8 m) was added in 1866. The packhorse bridge is an Ancient monument and has been added to the Heritage at Risk register.
A sight that is getting increasingly rare is that of a forge but Allerford has a most active one. Whilst we were there we replaced our much abused poker. Other traditional sights in the village include thatched cottages and an old-fashioned red telephone box. The nearby hamlet of Lynch also had one.
One of the thatched cottages at Allerford operated as the local Primary School between 1821 and 1981 and is now a museum containing the West Somerset Rural Life Museum and Victorian School. The museum houses the West Somerset Photographic Archive.
This area, around Porlock, and the town of Porlock itself, are well worth a visit.