Wednesday 12 August 2015

Gandhi - a scheduled post



Some powerful words Gandhi left for us in his time.


1. Be the change you wish to see in the world

2. What you think, you become

3. Where there is love, there is life

4. Learn as if you’ll live forever

5. Your health is your true wealth

6. Have a sense of humour

7. Your life is your message

8. Action expresses priorities

9. Our greatness is being able to remake ourselves

10. Find yourself in the service of others

I especially like number four- ‘Learn as if you’ll live forever’.  As I have got older I have sometimes thought “What is the point of learning that?”  GB and I, for example, learned the names of the nine muses (again, no doubt) the other day.  Useful for crosswords but not much else one would think but I enjoy learning for learning’s sake and modern studies show that the more use one makes of the brain the longer it is likely to delay the onset of Alzheimer’s. So I shall carry on learning as if I’ll live forever and maybe that will also help me ‘Find myself in the service of others’, or, at least, reduce my being a burden on others in old age.

7 comments:

  1. Ah well I suppose remembering 4 out of 9 is not bad for me. I'll have to have another go. The ones I remembered are
    Erato (Poetry)
    Clio
    Terpsichore (Dancing)
    Calliope
    But I can only remember what two of them were muses of. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as long as you still enjoy learning you also enjoy Life. Excuse me, now I have to go and look up the nine muses... (no doubt - again!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS to the comment I just put in. I went in search of the nine muses and when I found them my first thought was: Well, that was a strange bunch of names, they don't even look Greek. Then I discovered that I was looking at a girl band from South Korea. (And in spite of calling themselves Nine Muses they were only eight.) I don't think I'll bother about trying to learn their names... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, Scriptor. Which is why I like reading biography and history and occasionally getting back to my french classes and reading best sellers and books on natural history .... so many books, so little time! Love you, xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continue to pour out love into the lives of others, and you are never a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Who cares, Kay" is a phrase that I have heard very often in my life. My answer is the same...I CARE! I find life endlessly fascinating from the smallest dot of life to the infinite universe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love learning new things, and I am inspired when I learn something new....and most times I am able to share my new found information with like-minded friends.
    Ghandi was an exceptional man...I am mindful of his teachings every day...good words to live by.
    Number 7 "Your life is your message" strikes home for me.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive