Wednesday 1 October 2014

Scottish Holiday – Day Eight - Wednesday



The day started off wet and very dark.


As we went over the Ballachulish Bridge some light appeared in the sky over the Pap of Glencoe.  (And that lamp-post really was leaning at that angle!)  In the distance you can see the Pap of Glencoe, a mountain on the Northern side of Glencoe.


We have often passed Castle Stalker on but I have never stopped there before.  This time we called in at the visitor centre for a coffee.  It is believed that Castle Stalker, much in its present form, was built by the then Lord of Lorn, Sir John Stewart, in about 1388.   King James IV of Scotland enjoyed staying there and hunting in the area.


 
A patch of blue sky gradually appeared as we crossed over Loch Creran – “Enough blue to make a sailor a pair of trousers”, as my grandmother would say.


But the skies darkened again as we went over the Connel Bridge and big drops of rain landed on the car windows.


We arrived at the Argyll in Inveraray in late afternoon.  We like this hotel with its pleasant service, excellent food and comfortable beds and have been back a few times now.



We had a wander around the town for a while…




…and then dressed for dinner.



And dinner was as good as always. 





12 comments:

  1. Wow, impressive dinner plates! And PWLT looks very nice in that lacey top.
    Castle Stalker has something forbidding about it, but who knows, it might be really cosy inside. Is it accessible any other way than by boat? Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as if it is on a tiny island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on an island, Meike. I don't know if it can be reached on foot when the tide is out or not.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember Castle Stalker at all. I shall probably be going to Mull at some time so shall combine the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never noticed it until you or Jo drove me past it - if you are driving past it it is gone too quickly for you to notice it. But it now has a visitor centre with a sign.

      Delete
  3. The landscapes are fascinating. I would so love to visit with my camera...

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... this brought back memories! I drove that same road - and I have a large poster, made from a photo I took of Castle Stalker, from the exact same angle you took it, on my living room wall! I also rode horseback on the shore of that loch. The lady who owned the horses told me Castle Stalker had electricity and heat thanks to a movie company that wanted to use it as a location. The owner said fine, but you have to install heating, electricity, and other amenities as the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things you managed to fit into your Scottish time!!

      Delete
  5. That first photo and the moodiness - you caught it, John. Well done. M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Castle Stalker looks familiar somehow... Where from, I'm not sure. Maybe there are other Scottish castles looking similar, or the view may have been used in some film or other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photo of Castle Stalker. A perfect "calendar photo"! I like Jo's lacy white top too, and the fact that Washington enjoyed the views as well! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A well known landmark although I have not been there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the rainy conditions, you still managed some lovely photos.
    Jo is super cute in her lacy white blouse....she knows how to stop your eyes from wandering...smart lady.
    The dinner looks delicious and filling....glad you enjoyed it.
    I love your grandmother's saying, "Enough blue to make a sailor a pair of trousers." I will always be reminded of this now when I see an overcast sky with a little blue.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive