Thursday 21 August 2014

Colin (1964-2014)



Yes, we are back from Scotland, and yes, we did have a splendid time.  I shall blog all about it over the next few weeks once I have my photos sorted.

But two days after we arrived home Jo was called into hospital where her youngest brother, Colin, was critically ill as a result of a brain haemorrhage induced by a fall.   


Sadly there was nothing the doctors could do and Colin died on Tuesday morning.  The only consolation, if there can be one, is that he had all his siblings, his sister-in-law and his nieces with him at the end.  Family solidarity counts for a lot at a time like this.

Colin was a lot younger than Jo and she helped look after him as he was growing up so his death is especially meaningful to her.  This photo was taken in happier days when she took him for a donkey ride.


 Condolences go to Colin's siblings Jo, Brian, Sue, and Geoff, his sister-in-law Moe, his nephew Richard and his nieces, Lucy and Emma.

14 comments:

  1. Please accept my condolences for your loss. It's so hard, because no matter how long we are with our loved ones, it's not long enough.

    All of you will continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry for Jo's loss. We who have lost a younger sibling often wonder at how they could have helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry to hear about Colin. What a terrible thing to happen. Please give my condolences to Jo. Sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time.
    McGregor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry for this loss. What a shock for you all. What a wonderful photo of Jo with her little brother. My older sister and I were more like "Moms" than sisters to our younger siblings, so I know what you mean. xx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is terrible, and I am very sorry for the family and friends affected by Colin's death. From when my husband died, I know how hard it is on the whole family. His older sisters helped him raise, like Jo did with Colin, and I feel very close to them because they share their childhood memories with me. You are right, family solidarity counts for a lot at times like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Jo's brother. My brother passed away in 1983 from pancreatic cancer. He was only 48 and 18 months older than me. We were really not close, not a close family really at all until I have linked up again with my sister recently. But even so it was quite devastating, so my thought and prayers are with you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear of Colin's passing...my deepest sympathy to Jo and family.
    It's good to look back at the good times that were shared and hold on to treasured memories....the donkey ride photo is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am so very sad. What a tremendous shock. It is a sweet pony riding picture, and I am glad there are good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear this - that must so sad. My condolences to Jo especially! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your condolences and Jo, especially, has asked me to pass on to you all her appreciation of your thoughts and good wishes. Colin's funeral was this morning and the Humanist celebrant had talked to Jo and one of her brothers and to Colin's closest friend and he gave a really good talk about Colin's life, pulling no punches about difficult times but lacing them with some of the many good things that made Colin the character he was. His ashes are to be scattered from the Mersey Ferry which will stop in mid-river on September 7th for the event.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive