At one time Chester Cathedral was dedicated to St Werburgh. St Werburgh died on 3rd February 706 and in 875 her remains, then held in Staffordshire, were threatened by an invading Danish army so Queen Ethelfleda (daughter of Alfred the Great) brought them to Chester for safety. The Queen refortified the city walls and founded a monastery, rededicating the existing church in St Werburgh's honour.
St Werburgh in the cloister windows
St Werburgh in the 1961 great West window.
An elaborate shrine had been constructed in around 1340 but did not survive the reign of Henry VIII. In 1538 when the abbey was dissolved, the shrine was broken up and the remains of the saint scattered. The various remains of the shrine that survived were collected together in 1876, reassembled, and now remain on display to this day at the Lady Chapel of the cathedral.
Red Fountain Pen
38 minutes ago