Thursday 3 January 2013

Some more about Christmas Past…



Some more about Christmas Past…

I think that I acquired 13 books over Christmas if you count the few I bought in from the sale table in the local library and the couple from the charity shop.  I guess I’ll have to do some reading.  What a shame….

My other presents included four small Portmerion plates to add to our crockery.


And a couple of Orthoceras to add to our collection of rocks, minerals and fossils.  Orthoceras ("straight horn") is a genus of extinct nautiloid cephalopod.  Orthoceras fossils are dated back to the Silurian Age 400 + million years ago and are the earliest recognizable animals.

 
The Orthoceras were a gift from David, our son who died in infancy over twenty years ago.  This may seem most strange to some people but in the early days after his death we were worried that somehow he might get forgotten on special occasions so we decided to give each other a little present as a memento. Much of our rock and mineral collection has come about this way.  Needless to say, we now know that David would never be forgotten on birthdays and the like, even without any token such as this, but the tradition continues and will do so until one of us dies.

Best-wrapped present went to one from a friend in Washington State – it was a wonderful book by an illustrator called Sallie Middleton. 


The most unusual present was one received by Partner-who-loves-tea.   A roll of designer toilet paper!


 The idea of launching oneself at that angel seems pretty irresistible.


Strictly Come Dancing had a Christmas special on Christmas Day which Partner-who-loves-tea and I watched on her new Christmas present – a 32inch flat screen TV.  


The irrepressible Bruce Forsyth and the beautiful Tess Daly were the comperes as usual.


It was great to see Fabrice Muamba fit enough to train and take to the floor after his heart-stopping experience which I reported on in March (here and here).

Over the rest of the holiday ‘there wasn’t much on’ – the perennial complaint of Christmas time viewers. But at least we had a couple of Agatha Christie’s to watch.  

Violence?  Strong language?  OK, thanks for the warning but I must have missed that bit…


Daughter-who-takes-photos and Friend-and-son-in-law-who-loves-otters came the day after Boxing Day.


No, that isn’t what it seems…  Jo played charades for us.


An otter jug as a present caused some amusement.


But it was a Bluetooth case and keyboard for his Google tablet that was described as ‘life-changing’ by Friend-and-son-in-law-who-loves-otters. 



Ivy was given some mice.


It rains but…
It’s only the third day or January but the birds are giving me a wonderful dawn chorus as I write this.  Such weird weather.  It has rained so far this year, continuing the climactic conditions from last year, but the forecast is for finer weather at the week-end. We shall see!

9 comments:

  1. Good to get an update with pics from the other side of the globe. If Miss Marple has violence and strong language how do they describe Midsomer Murders or perhaps that mild romp through murder and mayhem The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Midsomer Murders! There is quite a lot of violence in it, only that you hardly ever really see it (which suits me just fine). And Barnaby simply is too much of a genteleman to use strong language.

      Delete
  2. What a good way of keeping your son who died in infancy still very much part of the family.
    I got four books this Christmas, one of which I already had twice.
    Christmas TV didn't hold much interest to me, since I was hardly at home, and when I was, RJ was here and we were doing other things; but German Christmas telly is always very predictable, and so I know I wasn't missing out on anything.
    Did Ivy launch herself at the angel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas looks as if it was fun in spite of the weather. xoxox

    All the best in 2013, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful idea to receive gifts from your son, he not only lives on in your memories, but now in the memories of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A murder mystery containing acts of violence? Really??
    I like the plates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see Ivy at first and wondered why you were thing about launching yourself at the angel on the Christmas tree:) The otter jug looks beautiful. I have two books I was saving for when my husband was to have gone away this month, but he changed his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Christmas posts. I also love the way you are keeping your son remembered. I think our weather is typical for Ohio in winter...snowy and cold..very cold! I haven't forgotten the post cards either, I just haven't found one I think is appropriate..however I did find one that said "I cut the cheese at Grandpa's Cheesebarn"...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post! Thanks for the peek into your Yuletide celebrations! Am planning a post-Yule post myself, when I get the gumption to resize all the photos...

    Today I'm taking a much-needed "me day", in which I am off from work yet do not spend the day doing work at home. I am drinking hot English Breakfast Tea with Mom's home-grown honey, and reading a novel that my sister gave me for my birthday. Later I may watch "Withnail and I", just for something different. HA! Also, there may be popcorn. 8-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive