Tuesday 19 April 2022

Quotes

Some quotes from books i have read recently. 


Stafford, David.  "Skelton's guide to domestic poisons."  (For my friends from my days in Leeds) :-

When God wanted you to enter the ministry, he eased the way by making sure you were no good for anything else and blessed you with a mediocre singing voice.

When they'd first started holding hands and kissing, he was aware that a man of the world might have said, "No, my affections will not become your playthings," but he was not a man of the world, he was a man of Leeds  Central Library who'd rather have his affections used as playthings than have them ignored.

I don't think they could have had sapphism in Leeds when I was growing up.  If Leeds women had known it as an option, I can't see they'd have bothered with men at all.

At the City Palace of Varieties, they threw sharpened pennies at comics who told jokes like that...  Most people in The Pack Horse on Briggate could be funnier on a wet Sunday morning when there'd just been a death in the family.


Raybourn, Deanna. "The dark Road to Darjeeling." :-
 Dedication : this book is dedicated to my daughter.  All the best of what I am is because I am your mother.

Mark Twain :-
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sailaway from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."



Alan Bradley. 
"Thrice the branded cat hath mew'd" :-
Monosyllabic...  Why does a word meaning "a single syllable" require a five-syllable word to describe it ?

Alan Bradley.  "Golden tresses of the dead." :-
O-A-T-S. Oats.  Means 'obfuscation and torrents of ' well I mustn't say, must I.

Something that I will never forget until my dying day - if I live that long.

Alan Bradley. "The grave's a fine and private place." :-
The spell for finding books.."Abracadabra, Alakazam, Angela Thirkell and Omar Khayyam."

Alan Bradley  "Speaking from among the bones." :-
I was the eighth dwarf. Sneaky.


4 comments:

  1. I knew the Mark Twain one but not the others. Good collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these are grand! It's wonderful to see you online again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all good. The Mark TWain one is so true and fits my husband's personality and not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark Twain seems to be the most know quote and I agree...with Twain anyway! Yes, many times I have to remind myself that I'm more regretful about things I didn't do than those I did. I've lived long enough to learn that lesson! Good to see you here in blog land my friend! I hope your Spring is lovely there! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive